Re: Resent-* oddities (was: Additional appeal against publication of draft-lyon-senderid-* [...])

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Frank Ellermann wrote:

> > Regarding RFC 822, the S-ID draft doesn't mention the fact
> > that a large proportion of software which does something
> > useful with Resent- headers still implements the 822 syntax,
> > not the 2822 syntax.
>
> Except from all PRA-purposes and maybe MUAs displaying these
> Resent-* header fields somehow (822 or 2822):  What other uses
> do you have in mind ?

Ignoring PRA, there are two current sides to the handling of Resent-*:
message submission and message display. An 822 display end can probably
muddle along OK when presented by a 2822 message. An 822 message
submission server will probably do something wrong when fixing up a 2822
message that has been re-sent more than once. A 2822 submission server
will have to have some fairly good heuristics to gracefully handle 822
re-sent messages. Things get even more interesting if an 822-re-sent
message is then 2822-re-sent, because the header order of the original
re-sending has to be fixed.

Sender-ID effecively requires that this kind of submission server fix-up
must be implemented by MTAs and MDAs that do aliasing / redirecting /
forwarding.

> While I'm at it:  How's that supposed to work with RfC 2476bis
> 8.1 "MAY add Sender" ?  Apparently 2476bis 8.1 is still based
> on the old 822-concept of Resent-* (?)

It doesn't address Resent-* at all so one would have to work out for
oneself how a submission server should treat them. This is clearly a bug.
(Is it too late to fix submit-bis now it is in the RFC Editor queue?)
Specifying what to do with them is, however, tricky. Sender-ID lacks this
specification too.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/
BISCAY: WEST 5 OR 6 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. SHOWERS AT FIRST. MODERATE OR