Re: I-D ACTION:draft-sanz-rfc1032-historic-00.txt

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> You must be kidding.

I doubt it, some of "us" really support the 1591 "spirit":

TLDs manage their affairs as it pleases them, but public
whois data must be correct.  It's also desirable (but not
required in all TLDs) to publish it with a whois server.

Everybody is free to draw his conclusions where that's not
the case (and for ICANN's gTLDs that's not allowed, they
offer the WDPRS for such issues).

> most information in it is plainly wrong:

> Reporting-MTA: dns; mx2.nic.fr
> Arrival-Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:42:56 +0200 (CEST)
>
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; HOSTMASTER@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Action: failed

So what ?  Move 3912 to historic because it talks about the
known mil.whois.rfc-ignorant.org in its example, which at
best suffices as a _counter-example_ ?

`rxwhois -h whois.nic.mil nic.mil`
sock errno 61: Connection refused

Yes, I reported this to hostmaster@ about a year ago - zero
feedack.

And no, it wasn't me who submitted MIL to rfc-ignorant.org.

My bulk TLD submission last month was because I _disagree_
with the DE entry (after they added ? explaining the I18N
options) and because I hate double standards.

Move 3912 to historic, because it claims erroneously that
I18N for whois is impossible ?  One of the authors of the
draft in the subject _proved_ that it's possible, no matter
what the RFCI admin thinks about it.

> The rest, as mentioned by Harald Alverstrand, is just policy
> requirments (and bad ones) which are NOT IETF business.

3912 was submitted by the IAB Chair, claiming that this isn't
IETF business is utter dubious.  BTW, I can understand that
you'd like to remove the IETF from the picture, ICANN etc. are
probably bad enough.

OTOH there was never a whois problem with one of "your" TLDs
as far as I can tell it, and yes, I even watched TF (also a
nice example for some of the more surreal threads in LTRU ;-)

                         Bye, Frank

<http://purl.net/xyzzy/rxwhois.htm#v18> "updated  whois.nic.tf"