Re: SRV continued

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 19:39 -0700, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
> While we are on the subject of SRV, port numbers etc:
>
> Why not define SRV prefixes for POP3, IMAP4 and SUBMIT so that email
> applications can auto-configure from the email address alone.

Actually...... there is, at least in draft form:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-massar-dnsop-service-00.txt

8<-------
   This document defines a new domain, _service., which can be used for
   automatic service configuration and discovery.  The associated
   anycast prefixes can be used to configure a default DNS server, which
   provides lookups for a local _service. domain but also acts as a
   (caching) recursive DNS server, thus allowing DNS clients to use this
   well-known address as their default DNS server as well as to use it
   to find various well known services, thus avoiding manual
   configuration.
------->8

Applied to automatically setting up IPv6 tunnels:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-massar-v6ops-tunneldiscovery-00.txt

Greets,
 Jeroen