RE: SRV continued

> Because it raises some very "interesting" issues about just
> which server a particular client should be bound to.  The
> network-nearest available one or  the one associated with the
> same organization as the client are typical possibilities
> (along with the somewhat vague "email address") and, if the
> wrong one is chosen, it may be inaccessible.

The user still needs to specify their email address. I get my IP service
from comcast but I do not use their mail service. This is why I do not
see DHCP as a mechanism.

If I have pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxx there is only going to be one set of
servers for incomming mail for that address, the place for POP3 and
IMAP4 services is obvious.

Traditionally it was possible to choose the outgoing mail service. That
option is effectively closing due to spam control measures. But even if
the email service has a choice of outboud email relay it is a limited
choice and this does not affect the means used to advertise each relay.