Re: A proposed experiment in narrative minutes of IESG meetings

Brian E Carpenter <brc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>>The two points are linked. The IESG gets to make some decisions about
>>>people. "X is a lousy WG chair, but Y is the only plausible replacement,
>>>and she works for Z so would have a commercial interest in the
>>>outcome. So we have to put up with X." I think people wouldn't say that
>>>on a call that was being recorded for posterity, precisely because it might
>>>be sub poenaed.
>>>
>>>Whereas the narrative minutes would say
>>>"The IESG discussed the Foobar WG and agreed with the AD's proposal to
>>>continue with the current WG chair."
>> The logical conclusion to that problem is to edit out those parts of
>> the recording before making it public.  Editing audio is roughly as
>> difficult as writing down narrative minutes these days.  That
>> filtering and editing process is required when writing minutes too, so
>> it is not like an entirely new process is required.  Listeners would
>> have to listen to the recording and read the minutes to get the
>> complete publicly available information.
>
> I'm sorry, I *really* don't think this would be practical. Editing written
> notes is much easier and quicker then editing audio, and can be done
> anywhere the scribe's laptop can be opened.

It depends on the scribe I guess.  I would expect anyone who wanted to
do a decent job as a scribe would record the discussion and go over it
once or twice anyway.

But having one recording a year, like Sam suggested, would indeed be
useful too.  As noted, however, it would not have any significant
technical use, except as an introduction to the culture in IESG.

Thanks,
Simon