Re: A proposed experiment in narrative minutes of IESG meetings

"Marshall Eubanks" <tme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:08:45 +0200
>  Simon Josefsson <jas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Brian E Carpenter <brc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> > We propose that, for an initial period of 6 months, a member of
>> > the community will be added to regular IESG meetings as a "recording
>> > secretary" who will write narrative minutes of the discussions,
>> > which will be posted publicly after IESG review for accuracy.
>>
>> Sounds useful to me.  How about actually recording the discussion too?
>> And publishing them as OGG or MP3.  Editing out personnel discussion
>> would still be possible.  All for the sake of transparency and
>> accountability.
>
> My experience is that recordings tend to shut some people up.

My experience is that recordings tend to make people focus on facts,
rather than trying to win a discussion or furthering their own agenda.
If the IESG meetings are intended as service to the community, from
experts, that seem to be a good thing.

> Plus, if they exist, they are subject to subpoena.

Is that a problem?  Not purely a rhetorical question.

Thanks,
Simon