Re: text suggested by ADs

This is a combined response to a number of messages under
the same subject field:

Ralph Droms wrote:
Which is why I suggest ADs provide technical input in open mailing lists
during last calls, to make sure their technical input is on the same
footing as everyone else's technical input.  I agree that the IESG's job
is to ensure correctness, completeness, etc.  That feedback should be
provided earlier, in an open forum.

That doesn't scale, since all ADs are at least in theory supposed to look at all drafts that land on the IESG's table. They will only be able to engage earlier (pre and during Last Call) in a very small fraction of cases. As long as the IESG is the back-stop, there *will* be late feedback - it's inevitable.

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
> Once again we come back to one of the core problems with the IETF
> processes being a complete lack of information on the Web site.

That's hyperbole, but we are very much aware that the web site needs
a rethink. And we're also aware that that is a costly and complex
process.

John Loughney wrote: > Bill, > > When is a DISCUSS not a discuss? When it is a "You have to fix > this and I'm holding a DISCUSS until it's fixed." I've seen variations > on there as a draft editor and it's not always clear. In the past, > this has been an issue with ADs who have not engaged the WG. It helps > to have an explanation of the DISCUSS.

Somewhat oversimplifying, I think you will find two types of DISCUSS
in the tracker:

1. Problems that need fixing, are fairly easy to fix, and most people
will agree on the fix once it is pointed out.

These very often get fixed very quickly - quite possibly during the week
between the document being placed on the IESG agenda and the time of
the telechat - and cause little pain.

2. Problems whose validity and/or solution is contentious. Unless you
want to remove the IESG's role as a back-stop, there is no painless
way to resolve these. Somebody is going to have change their mind.
I can only agree with those who say that open discussion is the best
way to deal with these cases. It's the document shepherd, I think, who
has to make sure that discussion happens ASAP.

    Brian