Re: improving WG operation

> > I think that's a symptom; a more fundamental problem is that WGs are
> > trying to do too many things at once.
> >
> > I've lost track of how many times I've seen a WG
> >
> > a) take valuable meeting time to have a presentation about a draft
> > that is only peripherally related to the WG's current task
>
> How many of those have been at the suggestion, or _insistance_, that an
> individual or other WG's work be 'checked' in that WG?

I've never seen an AD insist that a WG devote valuable face-to-face meeting
time to "checking" work that was peripheral to the WG's interest.  OTOH,
I have seen WGs saddled with trying to make some other group's work into
something sane - it's a thankless job, but sometimes a necessary one.
(mDNS comes to mind most readily here).

> > c) accept the draft as a WG work item without any discussion of
> > whether doing so will affect the WG's ability to get other work done, or
> > the WG's ability to give adequate attention to the work already accepted
>
> Or whether it is the WG or the IESG that has the real interest in the
> area of work. When a doc hasn't even been read by a handful of people -
> even after _multiple_ requests _at_ repeated WG meetings, it's amazing
> when the result is a call for decision on what to do.

Why is that amazing?  Yes, sometimes silence speaks for itself, but
there's nothing wrong with asking the question - so long as lack of
response isn't taken for "yes".

Keith