RE: improving WG operation

It seems to me that the fundamental problem is that most of the
meeting
has not read most of the drafts let alone the latest version under
discussion.
There is a fundamental IETF tenet that nothing is explained but there
is a false assumption
that the people in the meetings have read the drafts.  Whenever I've
seen the chair ask how many hve read
the draft, it is usually < 5%.  I think this is a key issue but the
solution is not obvious.  Nobody can
read the number of drafts that are issued for a meeting. Not even for
the subset of attended WGs.

Other organizations have proponents explain what they are proposing.
IMO this leads to a better quality of discussion.
But this limits the number of topics that can be worked on in a week
to far less than the IETF tries to cover.

Steve Silverman