Re: improving WG operation

Keith Moore wrote:
>>>I think that's a symptom; a more fundamental problem is that WGs are
>>>trying to do too many things at once.
>>>
>>>I've lost track of how many times I've seen a WG
>>>
>>>a) take valuable meeting time to have a presentation about a draft
>>>that is only peripherally related to the WG's current task
>>
>>How many of those have been at the suggestion, or _insistance_, that an
>>individual or other WG's work be 'checked' in that WG?
>
> I've never seen an AD insist that a WG devote valuable face-to-face meeting
> time to "checking" work that was peripheral to the WG's interest.

Check again, please. I personally have been asked to take items to WGs
that I've already presented them to repeatedly - even at the meeting
adjacent to a Last Call.

> OTOH,
> I have seen WGs saddled with trying to make some other group's work into
> something sane - it's a thankless job, but sometimes a necessary one.
> (mDNS comes to mind most readily here).

Sure - and that's where the process works. Since it's hard to know that
ahead of time, why are you complaining about the check?

>>>c) accept the draft as a WG work item without any discussion of
>>>whether doing so will affect the WG's ability to get other work done, or
>>>the WG's ability to give adequate attention to the work already accepted
>>
>>Or whether it is the WG or the IESG that has the real interest in the
>>area of work. When a doc hasn't even been read by a handful of people -
>>even after _multiple_ requests _at_ repeated WG meetings, it's amazing
>>when the result is a call for decision on what to do.
>
> Why is that amazing?  Yes, sometimes silence speaks for itself, but
> there's nothing wrong with asking the question - so long as lack of
> response isn't taken for "yes".

That's the amazing part - the question was something akin to "any
objection to taking this as a WG item?"

Joe