Re: What problems does the draft cut-off solve? (was: Re: MARIDback from the grave?)

Hello folks,

I haven't gone through all of the e-mails,
but at least I'd like to register an opinion.

I think the cut-off policies need to be changed.

Here are some reasons:
- There are many revisions of working-group drafts
  posted to private websites after the cutoff
- I have had drafts miss the cutoff because
  of some unpredictable slowness at the last
  minute
- The extreme panic at the last minute seems to
  encourage mistakes.

I do understand the benefits of having a deadline,
and setting deadlines has a way of improving
productivity.  But we need a structured way to
overcome the flaws also.

Maybe a working-group chair should have the ability
to submit a late draft on behalf of the authors,
when it is important for the improved operation
of the working group.  I think this would go a
long way towards solving the abovementioned problems.

No system is going to be perfect, but the current
system needs to be improved.

Regards,
Charlie P.