Re: Adminrest: BCP -03: Compensation for IAOC members

Harald,
On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 10:28, ext Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> --On 3. januar 2005 07:40 -0800 EKR <ekr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I don't think that anyone is saying that. However, AFAIK there's
> > in fact no rule prohibiting IESG/IAB members from being directly
> > paid by IETF--not that that's a likely event.
>
> At at least one point in the IETF's history, there was a nomcom
> interviewing a candidate for an IETF role where the candidate said that he
> would take the job only if the job was compensated - he had neither an
> employer willing to sponsor nor a sufficient personal fortune he was
> willing to spend.
>
> This received serious consideration at the time, but in the end the result
> of the consideration was to pick someone else.
>
> I'd like to reinforce EKR's point here - there should be rules for this
> sort of thing - but *these do not need to be in this document*.

Compensation in the form of a "salary" of the "board" (== IAOC) members
is a thing that is usually written in the by-laws. Especially, if some
sort of compensation is paid it is important to document how the
compensation is defined in the term of actual dollars.
So, I would still support the wording that Brian put forward some mails
ago.

Cheers,

Jonne.

--