Re: How the IPnG effort was started

michel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Michel Py)  wrote on 16.11.04 in <DD7FE473A8C3C245ADA2A2FE1709D90B0DB487@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> >> Noel Chiappa wrote:
> >> The IETF needs to seriously face the reality of the
> >> network that's really out there, not the network some
> >> of us wish were there.
>
> > grenville armitage wrote:
> > I imagine any number of circuit-switching Telco-types
> > said much the same thing to the emerging packet-switching
> > fanatics 30+ years ago. And I know B-ISDN types said the
> > same to "Internet fanatics" 15+ years ago.
>
> I think you missed the point. As of today, IPv6 is in the same situation
> ISDN has always been:
>
> I Still Don't Need.
> ^ ^     ^     ^

Whereas I have used ISDN for over a decade now, and so have enough Germans
that it's been very many years that pretty much every BBS switched to
support ISDN.

I hear you still use 56k Modems in the US. When people switched to ISDN
64k over here, "fast" typically was 14.4k. It's been quite a while since I
last used a modem ... 80's tech.

> ISDN which 10 years ago was supposed to be the digital miracle that
> would save us from the analog crap and take over the world

... well, over here that is pretty much exactly what happened ...

>never took
> off because the price was not worth the gain,

Aah. Capitalism at work, eh?

Over here, a standard ISDN line (two channels, three numbers) costs pretty
much exactly the same as two analog lines (two channels, two numbers), and
always has.

Makes for a slightly different cost equation.

>the majority of phones and
> dial-up still are analog and now ISDN costs _more_ than DSL or cable for
> low-end data.

That's just ridiculous.

MfG Kai