Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Scott W Brim wrote:
> Is there anything in this message that disagrees with 3668?  3668 is a
> little more "nuanced", for example you don't have to disclose until it
> looks like your idea is going to be incorporated in something headed
> towards standards track, but generally I think what you describe is how
> things work now.

Please do NOT spread that kind of total misinformation.

You have to disclose your IPR as soon as reasonably possible when an
internet-draft or RFC potentially infringing on it has been published,
no matter the category it's headed.

You're also strongly recommended to make a preliminary disclosure if
you think an idea is being incorporated in a submission, or something
that the WG is going to work on (i.e., if you just mention something
on the mailing list or at the mike and nobody takes it up, it isn't
required to file an IPR disclosure).  Again, no matter the category of
the ultimate document.

There is nothing in RFC 3668 to restrict disclosures to only standards
track.  And you definitely have to disclose immediately ("as soon as
reasonably possible").