[Last-Call] Re: Genart last call review of draft-ietf-opsawg-pcaplinktype-04

On Aug 16, 2024, at 7:43 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am much less concerned about getting the exact information in than you are,
> and more concerned that we get over this hump.

I am predominantly concerned that a vague description will lead people to write out files that don't match what tcpdump, Wireshark etc. expect, leading to pleas for command-line options/preferences/etc. to choose how to interpret LINKTYPE_XYZZY.

If the goal is to get the registry created, perhaps the answer is to remove all descriptions that aren't good enough and just mark those entries as "Reserved for XXX", with later I-Ds -> RFCs specifying them.  That lets us get something done quickly for the most important link-layer types.