RE: Near-Real-Time TLS and DNS Validation using a Multi-Vantage-Point Network of Secure Mirrors

Hi Nick,

1.
Indeed, manual "SECURE MIRROR BOOTSTRAP" file installation by the user would help.
But is it different from the current situation when I manually installed a government-authorized root certificate?
 A) XX millions of people did not even try to do it because it is very complicated for them
 B) I do not know how many have installed the fake certificate as a result
The government in my country has a so-called "multi-functional service center", typically within walking distance. It is a "unified window" for the great majority of government services.
MFS is already doing many-many government-related services that need a physical presence (like receive a passport or get credentials to the government portal) or if the old lady is not capable of doing something on the portal/application herself.
It is probably a good idea to ask MFS for an additional service for the root certificate installation.
Unfortunately, not everything (refrigerator? washing machine?) is possible to bring to this center.
Hence, the trusted root certificate movement procedure "from smartphone to anything else" is a good feature (I am not sure that it should be in a browser).
It is probably good even for smartphones to exchange it with each other (if owners trust each other).
Of course, social engineering would break such a mechanism, but social engineering could break many things anyway.
The compromised user could visit MFS again to refresh the trust.
People could change their trust anchor on the business trip (to a different country).
The principal thing here is that people trust physical people (that is even more reliable if the source is an official), not the hacker on the Internet. Block the possibility for easy remote trust establishment (professionals would find a way anyway - it does not matter).
Hence, my proposal: give people the possibility to easy exchange the root trust anchor on physical contact (WiFi, Bluetooth, etc). They would sort everything else themselves.
Such an application on a smartphone should probably ask for acceptance about every root certificate shared if many are available on the source smartphone.

2.
I do not understand why you believe that filtering starting from the Browser_Vendor is not possible.
IMHO: it is perfectly possible to properly negotiate with the Browser_Vendor to exclude the sources traced to unwanted certificates.

Eduard