Re: TLS Everywhere

On Wed, 2024-08-14 at 17:10 -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Most of our issues with TLS and CAs is really the market failure on
> the browser side of things.  We don't have TLSA/DANE support in
> browsers (or IPv6-LL) because we have a lack of choices.

I agree.

> We (as a planet) don't understand that we need to spend money on
> maintenance of software.  The 81% that was Mozilla's take from Google
> ought to wake us up.

I wonder what the viability would be for a FLOSS/non-profit browser
foundation that has a charter that explicitly forbids taking corporate
money?

One thing that I think could help tremendously would be more modular
browser components. Where a browser "distribution" packages up
different competing open source parts.

The TCP/IP stuff is trivial for a one-man coder to write.

It's the CSS/JS/Animation/Render Engine that's really complicated and
hard to build without a team.