[Last-Call] Re: Last Call: <draft-wkumari-rfc8110-to-ieee-02.txt> (Transferring Opportunistic Wireless Encryption to the IEEE 802.11 Working Group) to Informational RFC

Hi,

>> 2.  Of course, if further progress on this technology is something the
>> IETF does not care about, it does make sense to make it as easy as
>> possible for IEEE do this work. I am not sure whether the draft
>> achieves this because of 1. I don't understand from the draft what
>> exactly the IETF promises to change in its behavior, or what legally
>> changes - if anything. E.g.: is this a promise to never ever touch
>> anything related to rfc8110 ?? Has the IETF ever made such a promise, e.g.:
>> prior examples ?
>
>From a security point of view, it seems highly preferable that security
>enhancements to 802.11 protocols be done by the IEEE and integrated in the
>next version of these 802.11 protocols.
>
>A parallel effort would only be justified if the IETF did not trust the IEEE
>and
>wanted to take over such developments. I don't think there is any appetite
>for
>that.

Does that mean that IETF could take over ANY work from IEEE if they don't
trust the IEEE? Or, is it stated somewhere that taking-over-development is
only possible if the work was originally done by the IETF?

And, IF the IETF at some point would take over the development again, what
would prevent IEEE from also continuing the development?

Regards,

Christer