[Last-Call] Re: Last Call: <draft-wkumari-rfc8110-to-ieee-02.txt> (Transferring Opportunistic Wireless Encryption to the IEEE 802.11 Working Group) to Informational RFC

Thanks, S.

I am also not a legal expert, which is why i am asking here so that
someone who would know the correct legal answer could provide it:

AFAIK, if RFC8110 and draft where IETF WG product, the authors would be irrelevant
for the purpose of granting whatever the draft is granting to IEEE - because its
a WG/IETF (track) product. Given how the RFC and draft seem to be AD sponsored,
i am totally unclear how the status is now different. And given how the draft
talks about IETF handin over work to IEEE, its even less clear to me, what that
authors have to do with the handover. Aka: Only the IETF can handover something
pertaining to the IETF, right ?

Not meant to dismay the authors or the work in any way. Purely from a legal perspective.
Aka: i find the comments from JohnL that you refer to confusing...

Btw: The liason statement from IEEE would be quite useless for the case of this
work given how it is not a WG result. The liaison statement only grants rights
to WG chairs. So not even AD sponsort would be covered, e.g.: if an AD would need
to pass on IEEE WG work to some authors whose work the AD is sponsoring.

Cheers
    Toerless