[Last-Call] Re: Last Call: <draft-wkumari-rfc8110-to-ieee-02.txt> (Transferring Opportunistic Wireless Encryption to the IEEE 802.11 Working Group) to Informational RFC

1. S: How are the original RFC8110 authors relevant when the RFC and the new
draft are IETF AD sponsored instead of ISE track ?

2.  Of course, if further progress on this technology is something the IETF
does not care about, it does make sense to make it as easy as possible for
IEEE do this work. I am not sure whether the draft achieves this because
of 1. I don't understand from the draft what exactly the IETF promises to
change in its behavior, or what legally changes - if anything. E.g.: is this
a promise to never ever touch anything related to rfc8110 ?? Has the IETF
ever made such a promise, e.g.: prior examples ?

3. I very much hope that the IEEE provides an equal or better opportunity
for those interestd to work on updates as IETF would. I am not sure this is
the case. Seems as if there is at least a potentially significant
membership fee associated with working in IEEE SA.

4. What happens if this draft does not become RFC ?

Cheers
    Toerless

On Fri, Aug 09, 2024 at 03:00:24AM -0700, S Moonesamy wrote:
> Hello,
> At 11:02 AM 07-08-2024, The IESG wrote:
> > The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider the
> > following document: - 'Transferring Opportunistic Wireless Encryption to the
> > IEEE 802.11
> >    Working Group'
> >   <draft-wkumari-rfc8110-to-ieee-02.txt> as Informational RFC
> >
> > The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
> > comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
> > last-call@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by 2024-09-04. Exceptionally, comments may
> > be sent to iesg@xxxxxxxx instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
>
> The copyright notice in the draft points to "IETF Trust and the persons
> identified as the document authors".  The IETF Trust grants a license, for
> outside use, to copy, display, and distribute a Contribution in full and
> without modification.  It seems easier for the IEEE to contact the persons
> identified as the document authors if it wishes to maintain the protocol
> specified in RFC 8110.
>
> The draft is silent about the Trust.  Who should contact the IETF Trust
> given that it is listed in the copyright notice?
>
> Regards,
> S. Moonesamy
>
> --

---