Re: TELNET to HISTORIC Re: FTP

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke=40gmx.de@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 12 July 2024 11:29
Am 12.07.2024 um 10:53 schrieb tom petch:
> <tp>
> Disagree.  HTTP(S) is so complicated and the resultant downloaded file
> seems corrupt and unusable, at least when Windows is used to access it.
> HTTP works for HTML files, it fails for plain text which I find is the
> best option for I-D
>
> Tom Petch

I've been using Windows for over 25 years (before that, Mac on 68K).

I don't recall having problems with files transferred over HTTPS,
independently of file format.

If there's a problem for you, I'd like to understand what's going on
precisely (server, file format, user agent).
<tp>
The server is whatever the IETF is using for e.g.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-sendholdtimer/
This is probably a shadow rather than the real web site which I suspect cannot be accessed with Windows from my PC because of the way the IETF works.
The user agent is
Firefaox 121.0 (64 bit)
The file format is whatever the IETF is using for the above draft when I select
Formats HTML - the result contains so much cruft as to render work impractical  e.g. below (the hyphens being separators I have added).

Of course, clever clogs Windows is applying its 'intelligence' to the source so that what I see now in my MUA is not what I see when I use a sensible editor e.g. Wordpad to access the file on disk without further intervention by Windows et al.
HTH
Tom Petch
Internet-Draft 	BGP SendHoldTimer 	July 2024
Snijders, et al. 	Expires 5 January 2025 	[Page]

Workgroup:
    IDR
Internet-Draft:
    draft-ietf-idr-bgp-sendholdtimer-13