Re: TELNET to HISTORIC Re: FTP

Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 7/10/24 23:10, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>
>> Move both to HISTORIC. Saying something is obsolete lets the new
>> stuff arrive to replace it.
>
> I think it's the other way around.   Something becomes obsolete after
> something better arrives to replace it.
>
> So maybe TELNET is obsolete, but FTP isn't obsolete yet.

What does FTP offer that SSH-based Secure FTP doesn't?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_File_Transfer_Protocol

My perception is that most people have migrated away from ftp to http
for the majority of use-cases (anonymous downloads), and to sftp for
authenticated/encrypted use-cases.  Rsync is also common, but not
documented by the IETF at all.

/Simon