Re: why IPv6 is bad, No, SMTP is IPv4, Was: SMTP and IPv6

Subject: Re: why IPv6 is bad, No, SMTP is IPv4, Was: SMTP and IPv6 Date: Wed, Jul 03, 2024 at 08:05:29AM -0400 Quoting Phillip Hallam-Baker (phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):
> So, about defeating traffic analysis...
>
> I really don't understand why there is this fetish for keeping the IP
> address the same from endpoint to endpoint. In 1985, the end points
> typically weighed 800lb and were not likely to move. A user was not going
> to switch networks during a call.

Connections more complicated than HTTPS will break more often when
being subjected to middle boxes.  We've bred an entire generation of
programmers who believe it is HTTPS/IP and that nothing else works. This
because the middle boxes break protocol innovation, forcing people to
implement workarounds and reinventing the wheel over HTTPS.  I think
the world deserves better. And it is so bloody inelegant!

> Today, being able to keep the transport connection going when the network
> connection changes is table stakes for new proposals. And that means the IP
> addresses are going to be in a state of flux. If you don't want pervasive
> surveillance knowing who is talking to whom, you want to obliterate any
> information that might help an attacker.

And I want application protocols to be able to do that switch, and evolve
without having to ask middle boxes permission.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE           SA0XLR            +46 705 989668