Re: RFPs and IPv6

John Levine wrote on 02/07/2024 22:27:
Well, OK. We put put out an RFP that requires that our new mail system
have full IPv6 support.

We get no bids. The existing mail system is held together with fraying
duct tape and stopped sending mail over IPv6 four months ago and
nobody noticed, much less complained.

Now what?

you accept the risk of outages, or you pay to keep the existing service up by diverting resources that could go elsewhere, or you ease off on what outsourcing terms and conditions would be acceptable for financial, policy or other reasons. Policy decisions have costs, sometimes direct, often indirect. As you point out, it's not credible to claim otherwise.

This is the sort of resourcing calculus that all organisations have to deal with. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that the IETF finds itself in this position, about this particular topic - there's a good deal of scope for informative discussion about why provision of mail services over ipv6 is not viewed as a priority, either by mail providers or mail service consumers.

Nick