From: Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) <lyndon@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 1, 2024 21:11
To: Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; ietf@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: No, SMTP is IPv4, Was: SMTP and IPv6

Phillip Hallam-Baker writes:

> I don't see that happening for SMTP because the big cost of managing
> SMTP services is the anti-abuse system, in fact that is pretty much
> the only cost. And going from 32 bits to 128 bits (or 64 if you want
> to look at it that way) is simply too much leverage to hand over to the attackers.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. ip6 means a near infinite number of addresses per host, but almost always those come out of a local
/64 LAN.  So instead of doing reputation on ip4 /32s, you do it on
ip6 /64s.  The addresses get longer, but the number of entries you track is going to be similar.

It would be ineresting to examine the "worst 10%" of a few ESP's
ip6 bad reputation lists to see if this sort of clustering happens in reality.

--lyndon