Re: No, SMTP is IPv4, Was: SMTP and IPv6

On Mon, Jul 1, 2024 at 2:48 PM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7/1/24 12:58, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>
> > I don't see that happening for SMTP because the big cost of managing
> > SMTP services is the anti-abuse system, in fact that is pretty much
> > the only cost. And going from 32 bits to 128 bits (or 64 if you want
> > to look at it that way) is simply too much leverage to hand over to
> > the attackers.
>
> Well, the existing anti-abuse system is itself effectively a DoS attack
> on email, so sooner or later people might start realizing that.
>
> And associating reputations with 32-bit IPv4 source addresses, to the
> extent it works at all, becomes less and less viable every day.
>
> So the reputation system can lose because there are too many different
> parties using a particular 32-bit source address, or it can lose because
> there are so many 128-bit source addresses that the bad guys can just
> keep using new ones.   Either way, it loses, and valid mail doesn't get
> delivered far too often, and more and more people use something besides
> Internet email.   Which, of course, has been happening already for many
> years now.

In the past, I watched the IP range of a blacklist grow larger and
larger as AT&T would not kick a [known] spammer off their network. The
range got so large it DoS'd the Social Security Administration. This
was back in 2002 or 2003, before
<https://www.techdirt.com/2006/10/09/will-spamhaus-get-shut-down-over-dispute/>.

> Really that's not an IPv4-vs-IPv6 question.

Yeah, I often wonder about conflating spam control with IPv4/IPv6
addressing. I always found them to be two separate issues.

Jeff