Re: mail is hard, IETF mail service outage planned for 120 0 UTC on 27 June 2024)

It appears that Brian E Carpenter  <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> said:
>Fair enough - but the first thing is to know what the operational
>issues actually are, so that we have some idea how to fix them and
>which WG(s) might be involved.

I don't think these are issues in which the IETF has useful expertise.
I also think that the kinds of technical changes that would be likely
to help would have backward compatibility problems that would cause a
great deal of heartburn here.

R's,
John

PS: It also doesn't help that running a mail system at scale is very
different from running a tiny one, and we have an awful lot of people
who overgeneralize from running tiny ones.