Re: IETF mail service outage planned for 120 0 UTC on 27 June 2024)

On 29-Jun-24 16:07, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Saturday, June 29, 2024 12:14 +1200 Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 29-Jun-24 11:52, Nicolas Giard wrote:

The email world is unfortunately still overwhelmingly ipv4 and
unlike other protocols, adding ipv6 support is not trivial.

I have no expertise in this area, but it seems to me that the world
(well, at least v6ops or mailmaint) needs a draft on this topic. A
list of the issues would be a great start.

As suggested in my response to Nicolas a few minutes ago, if there
are fundamental issues in adding IPv6 support to email, particularly
email transport, it would be an entirely appropriate topic for the
EMAILCORE WG given that RFC 5321 and draft-ietf-emailcore-rfc5321bis
already discuss email over IPv6 issues.

Fair enough - but the first thing is to know what the operational
issues actually are, so that we have some idea how to fix them and
which WG(s) might be involved.

   Brian