Re: spoiled broth, was IETF mail service outage planned for 120 0 UTC on 27 June 2024)

It appears that Salz, Rich <rsalz@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

>>I do not see why the IETF needs to make use of a "major" email-delivery
>>service at all. Surely there are some mid-tier or similar equivalents.
>
>Because these days if you're not major, you are more likely to have your mail blocked or treated as spam.

That's basically it. Since 90% or more of all email is spam, it is
entirely reasonable to assume that mail from a source you haven't seen
before is spam. (This happened to me when I renumbered my IPv4 network
last month.)  The more mail you want to send, the harder it is to get a
good reputation.

It is my perhaps naive belief that most IETFers would prefer to get
their mail over IPv4 than not to get it at all. We're looking at IPv6
options and I hope we will find one that works, but I can tell you
from experience that it is not trivial, and it is not quick.

R's,
John