Re: On the difference between scenarios A and B in Carl's report

Putting an MoU-like agreement on the table could shift the "center
of gravity" of the responsibility for the future of the administrative
activity further from the centre of the ISOC organization.  The
further out it gets, the less sense it makes to undertake
(anything like) the other mechanisms in Scenario B that get
IETF participation right into the ISOC organization.

IMO, a similar shift could be achieved by forming an IETF community-selected board to manage this function and housing that board within the ISOC corporate umbrella (like the IAB is today). I don't think that housing our administrative functions within ISOC has to mean that those functions are directly managed by the ISOC BoTs. And, in fact, I would prefer that they are not.

Now, I (as a generic IETF participant) would want to see a real
draft of such an MoU before I called it a scenario and
had an opinion as to whether I thought it could solve the problems
we're looking at.

Scenario B includes the MOU mechanism as one of the choices for defining a relationship between ISOC and the IETF. The draft says that some or all of the mechanisms could be used, so we're still talking about Scenario B, aren't we? Since ISOC would clearly be one of the parties to this MOU, I'm not sure how useful it would be for the IETF to produce a draft MOU in the absence of ISOC input.

By the way, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me, personally,
to talk about an MoU between ISOC and "the IETF", which either
doesn't exist or is an activity of ISOC.  I wonder if this is
something that would be better framed as an IETF process document
 -- requires IETF consensus process to change, and ISOC BoT
approval to put into effect, per our current rules.

I agree with you that an IETF BCP that is published through the IETF document process and formally accepted by the ISOC BoTs would make sense as a way to formalize any changes or extensions to ISOC-IETF relationship. This model has been used to define the ISOC-IETF relationship in the past and it seems to be working well, IMO.

Margaret