[Last-Call] Re: Last Call: <draft-kucherawy-bcp97bis-05.txt> (Procedure for Standards Track Documents to Refer Normatively to External Documents) to Best Current Practice

The BigTech you work for probably already has a subscription to all IEEE stuff. Worked smoothly for me.

Personally, I found trying to access IEEE stuff as an individual a huge hassle. I was willing to pay, but couldn’t make the purchase work. Spent time talking to off-shored IEEE tech support and failed. Used a pirate copy of IEEE 754 from Brazil instead.

Maybe there’s a rare case where we work around the access restricted standards because the design considerations aren’t that strong, but seems like we mostly have to live with this.

Us in IETF land are probably making the strongest statement we can already in favor of openness by being open.

LL