[Last-Call] Re: Last Call: <draft-kucherawy-bcp97bis-05.txt> (Procedure for Standards Track Documents to Refer Normatively to External Documents) to Best Current Practice

lgl island-resort.com <lgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > The BigTech you work for probably already has a subscription to all
    > IEEE stuff. Worked smoothly for me.

For IEEE, that's probably true.
For some 100 person technology specific entity, this is not always the case.

    > Personally, I found trying to access IEEE stuff as an individual a huge
    > hassle. I was willing to pay, but couldn’t make the purchase
    > work. Spent time talking to off-shored IEEE tech support and
    > failed. Used a pirate copy of IEEE 754 from Brazil instead.

Yes.  for instance, I still haven't a way to buy/acquire a copy of ANSI X.12
for instance.   $600 for a CD. Yet, I can't pay the US entity, because I'm
not in the US, and the Canadian "retailer" was really really broken at the time.
(Canadian "Netfile" of taxes is an X.12 profile)

I'm all for discouraging such reference.

My experience with getting access to such documents has not been positive,
even when access is "arranged" via liason.  I point to the BTLE situation in
6lo that dragged on forever.

I don't know what publishing this document will really do, but whatever helps.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )