[Last-Call] Re: SDO references, was Re: Last Call: <draft-kucherawy-bcp97bis-05.txt> (Procedure for Standards Track Documents to Refer Normatively to External Documents) to Best Current Practice

We should be focusing on what policy we put in place. The current proposal is extremely vague. I would argue that:

1) The IETF has considerable soft power in terms of what it publishes and its impact on the world, and
2) Other SDOs pay attention to how we wield that power, and
3) By establishing a more detailed policy that creates friction against citing non-free standards, we can move the needle -- both on a case-by-case basis, and in the longer term as well.

E.g., the straw-man I posted earlier.

I still see no reason to make this policy change. Our practice has not changed for decades, and in reality it's not going to change now unless we're going to shoot ourselves in the foot and abandon major areas that depend on paid standards.

I also am sceptical our position makes much difference. The revenue that IEEE and ANSI each get from selling standards is about an order of magnitude greater than the IETF's entire budget. If they're going to change it's going to be from inside, not outside.

R's,
John