[Last-Call] Re: SDO references, was Re: Last Call: <draft-kucherawy-bcp97bis-05.txt> (Procedure for Standards Track Documents to Refer Normatively to External Documents) to Best Current Practice

There are lots of standards where you can find close to final drafts or pirate copies on the net, but I wouldn't want to make a practice of depending on it.

That may be true in some cases, but the pertinent WGs of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 (WG14 for C, WG21 for C++ (*)) actively ensure that access to their specifications remains open through publicly available documents that are technically equivalent.  This has recently been fueled some more by JTC1 pretty much reneging on the previous approach of making IT related standards publicly available themselves [1].

The reality in this part of the universe is that the publicly available documents are the ones that actually get implemented, not the “official” ones you would need to buy access to.  We should acknowledge (and embrace!) that reality and make it dead easy for implementers to find the publicly available documents.

That is all fine, and I agree that when it is possible to use free documents we should do so. But sometimes it isn't. For many decades WGs and the IESG have dealt with this issue and I don't see anything new or different now that would merit a change.

[1]: https://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/
For these documents, there is no paywall in the way, but (relatively mild) legal thicketwork.
(I haven’t checked which of the standards you listed in your original message are available from this well-hidden site.)

About half of them. For the rest, get out your chequebook or I guess in Europe, your IBAN.

R's,
John