Re: [Ietf-dkim] Fwd: WG Action: Formed Mail Maintenance (mailmaint)

On 5/13/24 11:58, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
[Reducing the distribution to just the main IETF list]

On Fri, May 10, 2024 at 2:33 PM Dave Crocker <dhc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This imposes two, formal requirements for Standards Track that are
dramatically higher barriers than is typical for IETF Standards Track
specification.

What is the justification for this deviation from IETF norm?

I know something like this was discussed in SIDROPS but that doesn't seem to have materialized in a charter change. I was told that one other routing related WG had done something similar, but I can't seem to locate which one.

Anyway, it might be that for brown-field work more should be required than an I-D and a bunch of hums.

It's true, of course, that the responsible AD could just direct the chairs to hold that line without actually writing it in the charter.  However, experience has shown that different chairs and different ADs can sometimes interpret charters differently from one NomCom cycle to the next.  Thus, if we want something like this to be firm and consistent over time, it's far more important to be explicit about it.

100%!

-andy