Re: [Ietf-dkim] WG Action: Formed Mail Maintenance (mailmaint)

> On May 13, 2024, at 1:58 PM, Andrew Newton (andy) <andy@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 5/13/24 11:58, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
>> [Reducing the distribution to just the main IETF list]
>>
>> On Fri, May 10, 2024 at 2:33 PM Dave Crocker <dhc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> This imposes two, formal requirements for Standards Track that are
>> dramatically higher barriers than is typical for IETF Standards Track
>> specification.
>>
>> What is the justification for this deviation from IETF norm?
>
> I know something like this was discussed in SIDROPS but that doesn't seem to have materialized in a charter change. I was told that one other routing related WG had done something similar, but I can't seem to locate which one.

Most likely IDR. https://wiki.ietf.org/group/idr/BGP-implementation-report

Until now, this has been a norm rather than a formal requirement, although it may go into an upcoming revision of the IDR charter. In broad strokes, the rationale for applying this higher bar has been “maybe it would be a good idea to be extra-careful about not breaking the Internet's routing”.

—John