[Last-Call] Re: Genart last call review of draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-zero-checksum-09

> On 11. May 2024, at 05:49, Meral Shirazipour via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Reviewer: Meral Shirazipour
> Review result: Ready with Nits

> by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
> like any other last call comments.

> <https://wiki.ietf.org/en/group/gen/GenArtFAQ>.
>
> Document: draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-zero-checksum-09
> Reviewer: Meral Shirazipour
> Review Date: 2024-05-10
> IETF LC End Date: 2024-05-16
> IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

> Major issues:
>
> Minor issues:
>
> Nits/editorial comments:
> [Page 4], "use a heuristic to detect the existence of such middleboxes".
> Would be great to add a few lines on the logic of such heuristic.
Hi Meral,

thanks for the review. Regarding your comment:
A heuristic could consist of sending path heartbeats (path confirmation
and normal) with a checksum of zero, turn using the zero checksum off
after two consecutive timeouts, and add tests on implicitly confirmed paths.

However, the decision to keep this out of this specification is based on:
* For the use case the document focusses on (SCTP over DTLS) this is not
  needed.
* This is not implemented by the stacks implemented by the stacks focussing
  on SCTP over DTLS. So we would not have any implementation experience.
* I guess one can optimize the heuristic for a specific alternate error
  detection method. Therefore it should be defined in such a document.
  That also would allow to get some implementation experience.

Knowing the above reasons, would you still recommend specifying such a heuristic?

Best regards
Michael