Re: [Alldispatch] Taking draft-thomson-gendispatch-no-expiry-03 forward

Hi Loa,

On 26-Jan-24 18:45, loa@xxxxx wrote:
Joel,

I don't think that keeping the expiry info in the draft is broken, I have
lived with it for close to 40 years and it has served us well. Since it is
not broken, why try to mend it?

I think it is broken (and has been for many of those 40 years). It perhaps made
sense in the days when we all had to print the drafts and read paper copies,
although of course the draft was datestamped anyway and we could all add six months if we needed to. But it was always informationless, because you still couldn't find out if a draft was current from the date - you had to look in an ftp directory to see if there was a new one, or read the announcement list every day. Today we have the tracker, which tells us everything, and the expiry date tells us nothing.

Regards
   Brian

/Loa

I am not trying to engage in the argument about citation.

Your draft, as I read it, calls for removing the notion of draft
expiry.  If you want to move the marking for expiry to the datatracker
and associated metadata, that would not be a "no-expiry"  It would be a
"move-expiry" request.   If that is what you want, then write that.

Yours,

Joel

PS: I have read the draft multiple times.  If I have managed to misread
it, I apologize.