Re: [Alldispatch] Taking draft-thomson-gendispatch-no-expiry-03 forward

Hi Ted,

On 26-Jan-24 09:51, Ted Hardie wrote:
Hi Brian,

I don't understand this objection:  "None of that works if we leave any statement at all (either the 6 months text, or a purported expiry date) in the document itself."  The field tells you either when the document's author thought it expired or when it will expire.  This is not a change from our current practice.  Yes, you can have an archival copy of something that has expired, but you know either that it is stale or when it will become so.

No, you don't know much at all. Version -07 might have been replaced after ten minutes by version -08, or it might still be in IESG processing 13 months after being posted. The expiry date given in the text is totally unreliable information. If we do nothing else we should remove it, but I'd much rather replace it by an explicit URL for the corresponding status page in the tracker. If we do that, I don't really care whether we abolish notional expiry as Martin proposes or not, but an explicit active/inactive bit does seem better to me.

I think that Martin's draft is addressing an existing issue, and that Brian's suggestion to replace the "expires" line by a pointer to the state in the data tracker is fine.

I did not see in the draft a discussion of the "tombstone" practice, i.e., publishing a draft-example-nn that just says "this draft was abandoned, the authors believe it was a bad idea because of X, Y, Z." Should it be in the scope of the draft?

-- Christian Huitema