Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-tenoever-tao-retirement-02.txt> (Retiring the Tao of the IETF) to Informational RFC

On Jan 25, 2024, at 10:08 AM, Salz, Rich <rsalz=40akamai.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I’m surprised something as core to the IETF as the TAO is going direct to last call so quickly and hasn’t had broader discussion/review.

A lot of discussion happened after I did a large-scale edit around early 2022; the tao-discuss list blew up. The concept of moving to the Web was discussed in gendispatch at IETF 114.

Looking at the current document, -00 version was Dec 12 2023 and -01 is Jan 17 2024 and -02 (Last call) is Jan 25 2024.         Not having followed the discussion in 2022 at IETF 114 and just looking at the document versions that appeared on the LC List, it appeared that the history has been about a month and half and during a holiday period for many people, that this was developed and then put into Last Call without even a public presentation of the document at an IETF Meeting.

Sorry to rehash all of this if it was resolved back in IETF 114/2022 as I did miss it back then.    Though the purpose of LC is to let people weigh in if they might have missed it previously.

I strongly anyone who is against this plan to really read the last version of the document at https://github.com/ietf/tao/blob/main/Tao.md  I find something already outdated on the second screenful, the table of contents.

I’ll quote myself responding to someone else:

>>    Personally, I think it's good to have a single document for this material, and that it should be printable.

  • I'd like to know why it is important for someone new to the IETF to know that the first meeting was at a company that no longer exists.

I’m doing that not (just) out of ego, but because I think it is a fundamental point of the discussion: who is the Tao *for*?  By trying to reach newcomers while giving 30-year-veterans something to think fondly about, it services nobody very well.

I get that the TAO document gets out of date, that happens to documents such as this that cover so much ground.

What I do not understand is how breaking it up and moving it  to the Web and across many Pages solves the  out of date problem.   Do we really need to put in place someone to be a more active editor of the document? Presumably this could the same people updating the web pages.

As for if it needs to have deep historical information such as first meeting host, well that’s an editorial question that is different from the question of what’s the best way to keep it up to date.

-Glenn Deen