Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-tenoever-tao-retirement-02.txt> (Retiring the Tao of the IETF) to Informational RFC

I’m surprised something as core to the IETF as the TAO is going direct to last call so quickly and hasn’t had broader discussion/review.

A lot of discussion happened after I did a large-scale edit around early 2022; the tao-discuss list blew up. The concept of moving to the Web was discussed in gendispatch at IETF 114.

I strongly anyone who is against this plan to really read the last version of the document at https://github.com/ietf/tao/blob/main/Tao.md  I find something already outdated on the second screenful, the table of contents.

I’ll quote myself responding to someone else:

>>    Personally, I think it's good to have a single document for this material, and that it should be printable.

  • I'd like to know why it is important for someone new to the IETF to know that the first meeting was at a company that no longer exists.

I’m doing that not (just) out of ego, but because I think it is a fundamental point of the discussion: who is the Tao *for*?  By trying to reach newcomers while giving 30-year-veterans something to think fondly about, it services nobody very well.