Re: [Last-Call] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-sidrops-rfc6482bis-07

On Thu, Nov 02, 2023 at 09:04:19PM +0100, Jim Fenton wrote:
> >> 2. Section 4.3.2 says that ROAIPAddress contains IPAddress elements
> >> while (if I'm reading the definition correctly) it contains BIT STRING
> >> elements. RFC 6482 defined an IPAddress element as a BIT STRING but
> >> that definition was removed; perhaps the text didn't keep up with
> >> that.
> >
> > I think the 'BIT STRING' you are looking for is present via the
> > 'ROAIPAddress' -> 'address' definition. Previously the 'BIT STRING' was
> > an unconstrained definition, in this -bis document its bounded by the
> > maximum possible length which is dependent on whether the contained
> > address is IPv4 or IPv6, done like this 'BIT STRING (SIZE(0..len))'.
>
> The size bound on the ROAIPAddress is a good enhancement. But in RFC
> 6482, there was an element explicitly defined called IPAddress which
> was defined as a BIT STRING. But in this draft, I find no element
> named IPAddress, and I’m concerned with the fact that the text in Sec.
> 4.3.1 refers to IPAddress.

Ah, I see what you mean! The IPAddress Type is defined in section
2.2.3.8 of RFC 3779 (which is referenced in the next section, section
4.3.2.1 of draft-ietf-sidrops-rfc6482bis-07)

At the time of writing 4.3.2 was intended as a high level introduction,
with each subsection providing more technical detail.

Do you have suggestions to adhere to the princple 'explain on first use'?
(which I assume you are after?)

> >> 3. RFC 4291 may be a normative reference due to the MUST NOT in Section 4.3.1.
> >
> > I moved the RFC4291 reference from the informative to the normative
> > reference section.
> >
> >> 4. I couldn't understand how to do the comparison in Sections 4.3.3
> >> and 4.3.3.1. Specifically, what is the precedence between
> >> afi/addr/plen/mlen? It seems like that might be the order, but I don't
> >> see it specified anywhere (other than perhaps in the example
> >> implementations, which are informative).
> >
> > I am not 100% sure what exactly you are looking for. I don't think the
> > order in which to test the equivalence of the afi/addr/plen/mlen data
> > elements matters. Can you please elaborate?
>
> Made up example: Suppose two entries have the same plen and mlen.
> Entry A has a lower afi and entry B has a lower addr. Which comes
> first?

Comparator step 1 is "Data elements with a lower afi value precede data
elements with a higher afi value", therefor in your made-up example
Entry A would come first.

It seems you see benefit in emphasizing that the numbered list is the
actual order dictating the precedence in the (currently non-existent)
preamble leading up to the numbered list in section 4.3.3.1

Should I add a sentence like "The below numbered list signifies the
order of precedence for comparator implementations" ?

Kind regards,

Job