Re: Bot postings, was Re: Messages from the ietf list for the week ending Sun Oct 8 06:00:02 2023

> For that matter I suspect that IETF lists could use some refactoring anyway.  There are too many lists these days, it's very difficult to keep track of them all even if using the IETF IMAP server, lots of things fall through the cracks.

Yes we definitely have a problem here with people not knowing where the conversation is taking place and missing things that are important to them as the conversation moves around lists.  What really brought it home to me was the antitrust-policy list, which had no posts for ten years (April 2012 to February 2022) and is now where some important matters are being discussed.

As you identify, this is both an informational issue (e.g. what lists exist, what use they have, how active are they) and an operational one (e.g. keeping track of subscriptions, managing subscribing/unsubscribing across sets of lists).

The good news is that there is a plan to start to address this [1].  First step is to upgrade to Mailman 3 and we have just signed up a contractor who will do that and who will take over management of our mail processing.  There’s a fair bit of work involved in that as we have a lot of tools that use the v2 API that will need to change to a very different API, but it’s a well trodden path.  Then we will be looking to build personal mail management features into Datatracker using the new API that also aim to provide everyone with much better information on our lists.

If you have any specific questions then best to post those to the tools-discuss list.

cheers
Jay

[1]  https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tools-discuss/tczQzcpBhe6ppdu8VDN4OzWbPtA/

--