Re: Bot postings, was Re: Messages from the ietf list for the week ending Sun Oct 8 06:00:02 2023

On 10/15/23 16:44, Carsten Bormann wrote:

NO!

After 17+ years and no signs of any change in the underlying conditions, this would be a waste of time.

Worse, you are also wasting a lot of time here on the list, and you are floodingietf@xxxxxxxx  with useless discussion, making the list considerably less useful in the process.
This is one of those DoS attacks that we as a community must get under control if we want to continue communicating.
The underlying conditions have changed considerably.

And if the topic only comes up for serious discussion once every 16 years, that's not too often.

For that matter I suspect that IETF lists could use some refactoring anyway.  There are too many lists these days, it's very difficult to keep track of them all even if using the IETF IMAP server, lots of things fall through the cracks.  A lot of people seem to want to suppress any lengthy discussion on the IETF list, or perhaps, any discussion that goes on for more than a few messages.

If there is a significant group of people who want all threads to be short, it wouldn't be that hard to have a separate list for that.  Any thread that went more than N messages or M replies deep could be cut off with a single message linking to the appropriate part of the IETF list archive for those who want to read further.   People who want to participate in or follow longer discussions could stay subscribed to the ietf list.   We're engineers and problem solvers, we can make this happen.

Keith