Re: Result of Consultation on ART/TSV Area Reorganization

Hi Keith,
At 02:19 AM 01-10-2023, Keith Moore wrote:
It wasn't really about trade-offs so much as about overall direction and goals of IETF. (If any organization is headed in the wrong direction, doing so more efficiently can actually be counterproductive. So it's important to get the direction right, or at least close to right, above all else.)

I'll have to give some thought to "direction" in order to comment about it.

When I was an Applications AD it was a 100% time commitment, which is to say, I generally spent about 60 hours per week on it. And yes, it was impractical in multiple ways, and I had trouble keeping up with all the WGs and the documents they produced. After four years of doing that I was certainly burned out. But those years (1996-2000) were kind of an exceptional time as the Internet was seeing a tremendous amount of new interest, and I believe the period of greatest in-person participation in IETF.

The feedback after 2000 was that it was a bit more than a full-time job. In addition, any interested party would have to fulfill an ability to travel requirement.

It's easy to be burnt out because of IETF workload. It is possible to manage the time to something workable.

To me the huge workload in Applications said that the Applications area needed to focus on the applications protocols that were most needed by the Internet community, rather than merely balance workload between ADs. (And I think IESG was better balanced then than it is now.) I recognized then that IETF could not practically expand to cover all of the Applications-related topics that needed standardization. And unfortunately (at least IMO) a lot of applications became vendor-specific web applications rather than applications based on standard protocols. (Not saying that HTTP wasn't a standard, but rather that HTTP framing wasn't a good fit for many kinds of applications, and also that HTTP alone wasn't sufficient to encourage interoperability between different implementations of the same application. Of course, many vendors prefer walled gardens, but IMO walled gardens do not serve the Internet user community well.).

I agree that walled gardens are not ideal. In my opinion, it's better to be realistic about them.

Applications is inherently a broad topic, so I don't think the mix of several subjects was due to historical reasons. We used to talk about "the hourglass" which was wide at the bottom (lots of different kinds of transmission media), narrow at the waist (TCP,UDP,IP), and wide at the top (wide variety of applications). We couldn't have adequately covered the entire Applications Area with 5 APPS ADs, and trying to do that would have strained IETF's ability to scale in many other ways.

I doubt that having five managers per area would be manageable.

I don't know where they're kept, but it's pretty common to cite metrics like number of RFCs published in a certain period, or average number of days of delay between certain milestones in documents' development. And those statistics are useful. But it's even more useful to have a sense of whether IETF is producing what the Internet community needs, it's just not as easy to measure that.

There was one or more initiatives about implementation/deployment of the standards produced by the IETF.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy