Re: Result of Consultation on ART/TSV Area Reorganization

Hi Keith,
At 07:18 AM 30-09-2023, Keith Moore wrote:
Having been on IESG myself, I would never tell ADs that their workload is not a problem. And I certainly did not intend to imply that.

I read your previous email as being about trade-offs.

I took a quick look at the Apps and Real Time Area last week. That Area has, if I remember correctly, 37 working groups. There are 10 working groups in the Transport Area. In my opinion, there is an imbalance. I also looked at the 2021 job descriptions. It stated that an ART AD should spend 50-75% of their time on IESG-related activities. The average workload of a TSV AD was estimated at about 15 to 20 hours a week. A volunteer position which takes over 50% of work time can end up being an unpractical commitment.

Another angle to look into is the organizational aspect. The Applications Area used to be a mix of several subjects, most likely due to historical reasons. The Area went through two or three reorganizations over the years. That's not a good sign, in general.

You mentioned metrics in your previous email. I could not find metrics by area on the web site. I also could not find the statistics mentioned in the last paragraph of Section 3.1 of RFC 7760.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy