Re: [Tools-discuss] messaging formatting follies, was The IETF's email

On Sat, Aug 26, 2023 at 01:09:03AM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> > For a good time, take a look at schema.org which has a whole bunch of
> > sets of tagged HTML elements you can embed in messages and that a lot
> > of large mail systems will interpret as things ranging from drug
> > formulas to concert tickets. The SML WG is looking at standardizing it.
>
> So what?  We don't have to change the meaning of HTML that people are
> already using in email, in order to define a subset/profile of email for use
> in technical discussions (or however else we want to scope it)

The challenge is how do you *enforce* that e-mails conform to this
subset/profile of HTML?  You could have the mailing list service
bounce any e-mails sent to the IETF list when the e-mail used HTML
elements which aren't in the "standardization" profile, ala what
kernel.org does when people send any kind of HTML to Linux kernel
mailing lists.

But what you are proposing is not requiring plain text, but some
artificial HTML subset/profile.  And that might actually be a lot
harder compared with sending plain text --- which some people seem to
claim is Impossible(tm).  (Which is fine, just don't bother the Linux
kernel which is doing it when you try to claim that it's Not Possible.  :-)

It's not that hard to force MUA's to send plain text.  But forcing
MUA's to send an IETF custom HTML subset may be quite a bit more
difficult.

						- Ted