Re: [Tools-discuss] messaging formatting follies, was The IETF's email

On 8/21/23 18:44, Christian Huitema wrote:

Simple proposal: we should move our culture to top-posting. No tool needed. Don't worry too much bout text/plain versus text/html.

Emphatically opposed.  I've seen what happens when this is used, and it's a disaster.

But I should probably point out (because in a way it's related) that a big part of the problem with email discussions today is that so many people read and answer email on handheld mobile devices.   And they have short attention spans because who wants to scroll through dozens of tiny screens to dig into the depth of some subtle technical point?

That's a similar problem that you get from top posting.  Being able to respond point-by-point to a long detailed message is hugely beneficial and top posting kills it.

Keith