Re: [117attendees] Making meeting attendance more affordable

On Tue, Aug 1, 2023 at 1:17 AM Christian Hopps <chopps@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Rob Sayre <sayrer@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> after WWII, and the overall metro area is still not very diverse.*

It would be great if the chosen city's demographics somehow led to a more diverse set of IETF attendees; however, I doubt that that is the case.

Regardless, A quick trip to Wikipedia yielded actual data:

Minneapolis: "As of the 2020 Census, ..."

Yes, but you're looking at data for the city only, not the metro area, as I wrote:
https://datausa.io/profile/geo/minneapolis-st-paul-bloomington-mn-wi

Big difference. Like most American cities, Minneapolis experienced a wave of suburbanization in the latter half of the 20th century with a bunch of confusing municipal borders, so you have to measure it that way.

I can see the argument that this kind of thing is too difficult to measure, or won't work anyway (it's tough to say without trying). But my thought was that the IETF might want to try some new things, since the status quo clearly isn't working. I watched all of the plenary stuff (in addition to the WGs I follow), and this concern was raised many times.

thanks,
Rob