Re: [117attendees] Making meeting attendance more affordable

Rob Sayre <sayrer@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

 Christian Hopps <chopps@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 +1 for Minneapolis.

Hi,

Well, I don't have anything against Minneapolis. But I don't think
you can look around at an IETF meeting and wonder about the diversity
problem if you're aiming for that location. That was 99% white until
after WWII, and the overall metro area is still not very diverse.*

It would be great if the chosen city's demographics somehow led to a more diverse set of IETF attendees; however, I doubt that that is the case.

Regardless, A quick trip to Wikipedia yielded actual data:

Minneapolis: "As of the 2020 Census, the racial composition was 58.1% non-Hispanic White, 18.9% Black or African American, 10.4% Hispanic or Latino, 5.8% Asian or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, 1.2% American Indian, and 0.5% some other race. 5.24% were of two or more races."

Would you also apply this diversity metric to the sites in Europe or Asia as well?

The IETF could hold a meeting in Atlanta or Los Angeles, and it would
be quite different from that perspective, although the visa rules
would be the same.

What MSP offers is a low-cost alternative to the "more diverse" coastal cities. For the US it's located mid-country so flights to it should be more affordable for folks in the US at least, and MSP is a major Delta Hub which includes direct international routes as well.

What about other mid-western affordable cities, e.g., I attended a Pycon in Cleveland, OH, in May 2019. It was a very nice city for a conference, felt safe, plenty of walk-able restaurants, etc.. Major hotels (Hilton, Marriot, and Westin were the organizer's choices)

Thanks,
Chris.

I do understand the vacation vs. work arguments, and I agree with
them. But no one is going for Honolulu or Rio de Janeiro. Even the
suggested South American cities are really quite boring. Also, it
doesn't matter. You're going to be sitting in some beige conference
room! :)

thanks,
Rob

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Minneapolis